Among the many varieties of willow, the one most commonly used for skin care is the white willow (Salix Alba) tree. These grow up to a 100 feet tall and have hairy leaves that are pale-colored. The bark of this white willow tree is known to be an effective ingredient in many skin care products owing to its rich chemical composition. Here are the advantages of using willow bark for skin care;
- It is anti-inflammatory:We know that inflammation is the root cause of numerous skin problems including acne, eczema, and premature aging. Chemical compounds within the willow are natural anti-inflammatory compounds that help reduce these skin problems and improve the condition of our skins.
- It possesses wonderful anti-aging properties:Salicin is a compound that is produced in willow bark. This anti-inflammatory agent can help reduce the visible signs of aging skin. Willow bark is known to be rich in the compound Salicin. The application of this compound on the skin brings significant improvements in the skin condition by reducing wrinkles, roughness, and pore size. Overall, the use of willow bark makes your skin appear more radiant and fresh.
- It is rich in antioxidants:The best thing about the use of plant extracts is their chemical composition – they are naturally rich of anti-inflammatory and antioxidant compounds. The same is true for willow bark. The presence of antioxidants such as flavonoids and tannins allow the rejuvenation and protection of skin through enhanced cell growth.
- It is an antimicrobial:Willow bark helps keep the skin free ofbacteria and pathogens. The reason behind this is its ability to protect the skin from microorganisms by acting as an antimicrobial agent. The use of willow bark ensures that your skin remains healthy and free of all infections.
- The use of willow bark reduces breakouts: Willow bark is proven to be an effective natural treatment for breakouts. It naturally exfoliates the skin and clears the pores to help reduce breakouts and hence, give the skin a clearer, fresher look.
Willow bark extract is a wonderful ingredient for your skin care, but as with all other chemical compounds, precautions need to be taken. There can be harmful side effects of using willow bark if you have any type of allergic reaction to the chemical compounds found in the extract. Therefore, it is recommended that you consult your allergist before applying willow bark on your skin. Always consult your doctor in case of any unwanted side effects that may occur because of the use of the willow bark extract.